By Ruth Manimtim-Floresca
Banks offer various types of credit cards depending on their clients’ needs. For frequent travelers, who often go out of the country, there are certain credit cards that come with exclusive privileges that would best fit their lifestyle. Here, we give you a rundown of travel credit card s and the information you need to make the right choices.
Please take note that terms and conditions may apply on each feature and those rates and rules may change after this article’s publication. Please contact the banks directly for more information.
BDO VISA PLATINUM CREDIT CARD
- Dual Currency Feature – Philippine Peso and US Dollar accounts in one card
- Flexible Credit Limit – High credit limit for spending anywhere in the world, available in both Philippine Peso and US Dollar
- Dual currency billing – Two separate billing statements for Peso and Dollar transactions. For international transactions, clients have the option to pay the exact amount in US$ or inquire for the prevailing exchange rate if they want to pay in Philippine Peso.
- Accepted worldwide – International acceptance and recognition by major establishments throughout the country and in over 20 million locations and territories where Visa is accepted
- Up to six supplementary accounts – Nominated family and friends will enjoy the same card benefits and privileges the principal card holder enjoys.
- Visa Access – Unique Visa Platinum recognition such as access to 500 Members-Only golf clubs worldwide, access to unique travel experiences, access to airport meet-and-assist and transfer services, benefits at selected airport Duty-Free outlets
- Visa Concierge Service – Available 24/7 to assist clients in air travel arrangements, hotel bookings, car rental, and passport and visa assistance, card emergency services
- Loyalty Program – Earn one (1) point for every Php40 local transaction and for every US$1 international transaction you charge to your credit card.
- Free Travel Accident and Inconvenience Insurance Coverage – Up to Php20 Million in Travel Accident with Travel Inconvenience benefits
Annual membership fee is waived for the first year; succeeding annual memberships will also be automatically waived with at least Php420,000 spend per year. Supplementary cards are free for life. Finance charges for Peso – 2.5% and Dollar – 2.5%
BPI SKYMILES CARDS (Regular and Platinum)
- Accepted Worldwide: Use to travel to over 900 cities, 160 countries at 6 continents through Delta Air Lines and its SkyMiles Airline partners.
- Up to six supplementary cards
- Loyalty program – Receive 1 mile for every P45 spend. Miles are transferable.
- Travel Protection – Get up to P10M (for regular) or P20M (for platinum) travel insurance coverage. Enjoy superior information security through EMV chip technology when traveling the 42 EMV countries.
- Extra Miles –Earn double miles for every purchase of Delta Air Lines tickets using the platinum card.
- Extra Perks – Enjoy pleasant stays at the Delta Sky Club for free at the NAIA
Rates: Annual fees for Regular – P2,050 (principal), P1,025 (2nd to 6th supplementary, 1st free); Platinum – P5,000 (principal), P2,500 (2nd to 6th supplementary, 1st free). Finance charges – 3.4%
BANK PREMIER MILES CARDS (Gold and Platinum)
- Accepted Worldwide – Can be used in 29 million establishments in over 150 countries
- High Credit and Combined Credit Limits – Get extra purchasing power
- Up to seven supplementary cards – You can assign spend limits as low as P10,000 for each card
- Dining privileges – Savor the best dining deals in over 1,000 locations in the Philippines
- Citibank world privileges – Get discounts, freebies, upgrades and more at over 5,000 establishments around the world. Get favourite US brands delivered to your doorstep with Citibank Globeshopper
- Loyalty Program – Every P30 (for Platinum) or P40 (for Gold) you spend on your card earns 1 PremierMile
- Never Expiring Miles – Accumulate and keep them for as long as you want, until you decide to exchange them for free flights
- Over 50 Airline Choices – Redeem air miles at your preferred frequent flyer program at a rate of 1 PremierMile to 1 air mile
- Miles Good as Cash – Pay off travel expenses such as airline tickets, hotel stays, cruises or car rentals with miles
- Complete Travel Experience – Get VIP lounge access in NAIA Terminal 1 24/7 regardless of the airline or class you fly; travel with assured maximum protection and financial help when you charge your travel ticket to your card
Rates: Annual membership fees for Gold – P2,500 (principal) and P1,250 (supplementary); Platinum – P5,000 (principal) and P2,500 (supplementary). Interest rates for Gold – 3.25%, Platinum 2.75%
HSBC PLATINUM VISA CARD
- Accepted Worldwide – HSBC’s Home&Away privilege programme offers cardholders an array of privileges around the world with 19,000 outlets in more than 160 countries and territories
- Earns fuel rebates – Earn a 3% rebate on your fuel purchases when you use your HSBC Platinum Visa Credit Card at participating Caltex stations.
- Loyalty program – Earn one bonus point for every P10 charged on the card. Aside from redeeming rewards, you can convert points to Mabuhay Miles at 3 bonus points to 1 mile, and Asia Miles and KrisFlyer at 7 bonus points to 1 mile.
- Travel Accident Insurance – Visa platinum provides cardholder and family with a minimum coverage of US$500,000 when you pay for your travel fares with HSBC Platinum Visa
- Complimentary Nights at private homes and villas – Enjoy up to 4 complimentary nights at 58 hand-picked luxury private villas in Bali, Koh Samui, Lombok, Phuket, and Sri Lanka when you book with using the HSBC Platinum Visa
Annual fees P5,000 (principal) and P2,500 (supplementary); finance charges – 2.75%
STANDARD CHARTERED BANK PLATINUM CASH REWARDS CARD
- Highest Rebates – Get 3% rebate on ALL dining and department store spends and 0.3% rebate on ALL other spends in the most number of places, all over the world, all year round
- Worldwide acceptance – Shop at over 20 million commercial establishments worldwide wherever MasterCard and Visa symbols are displayed
- Up to 5 supplementary cards to immediate family members age 16 years old and up
- Five-star benefits specially handpicked for card users such as dining privileges at fine restaurants across the Asia Pacific region
- Complimentary tee-offs all year round at over 25 of the region’s best greens plus access to the world’s famous golf clubs
- Loyalty program – Every P10 charged to your card gives you 1 point which you can use to redeem air miles, gift certificates, pay off Annual Fees, or even get cash rebates. Four (4) Rewards Points are required to redeem one (1) Mile.
- Travel Accident Insurance and Inconvenience Protection
- Available to all cardholders, their spouses and dependent children whose fares or tickets have been purchased using the card. Applicable only for international travels
Annual fees P2,750 (principal), free for the first 3 years (supplementary); Finance charges – 3.5%
UNION BANK OMNI PASS VISA CARD
- Travel Concierge – Have every facet of your trip taken cared of from plane ticket, hotel and airport transfer bookings to providing you with information on weather, exchange rate, travel forecasts.
- Worldwide Access – Card can be used anywhere in the world where VISA is accepted
- Discount program – Count on special perks, freebies and discounts when you use your UNIONBANK OmniPass in Club Manila at the NAIA 1, local resorts, hotels, spas and travel shops.
- Loyalty program – Every P40 spend earns cardholders 1 travel point.
- Travel point conversion – Points can be converted to free local and international air, land, and sea accommodation packages such as cruise tickets, airport transfers and city rides, and vacation packages. You can even fly the airline of your choice.
Annual membership fees P1,500 (principal), P750 (supplementary) plus program fee – P500, finance charges – 3.5%